I’ve heard many good things about the WW Black Bean Brownies for a while, so I figured I’d make them myself. Of course, my kitchen wasn’t stocked with all the ingredients, so I made my own adaptation! These are ingredients I keep in my kitchen (and can usually be bought from my favorite place… Costco!)
Preheat your oven to 350ºF. Prep your baking pan: 8×8″ with Pam with Flour (or Baker’s Joy, my preference, but you can’t find it on the shelves anymore!)
- ½ c canned black beans, rinsed & drained
- ¼ c espresso* (or strong coffee)
- 1 stick of unsalted butter, melted**
- 4 oz (by weight!) semisweet chocolate chips, melted**
- 1 t vanilla
- 4 large eggs
- 1 c sugar
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 c AP flour
How’ya do it:
- Blend the beans and espresso together (using a blender or food processor) until smooth, pour into medium bowl.
- Add the melted chocolate-butter mixture to the bowl, then add vanilla.
- Add eggs one at a time, mixing until incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients gradually so that they incorporate before you have a flour disaster in your kitchen.
- Pour into your prepared dish and bake for 30-45 minutes, until your toothpick comes out clean.***
*I used one illy espresso pod, opened the pouch, dumped the grinds in a measuring cup, and added ¼ c boiling water; don’t worry about the grounds — they’re tiny and just a bit of extra fiber; really, why are you worried about coffee grounds when you just added beans to brownies?!
**I finally listened to Alton Brown and used my hair dryer to melt chocolate. Brilliant. I cut the butter into tablespoon-sized pieces and melted them with the chocolate. Hair dryer on high heat, reduce to low heat if you find the liquid splashing out. Finally have a good use for my hair dryer!
***Really, y’all, watch your brownies carefully towards the end; set your timer for 30 minutes and use your best judgment when they need to be baked longer. Baking is not about setting a timer and walking away and forgetting that you have something in the oven! Don’t be a victim of dried out brownies!! (Or any other baked good, for that matter!!)